Our expert advice on any plumbing and heating requirements you may have

A Complete Guide To Gas Safety Certificates

If you are a landlord or a homeowner, there are a few health and safety regulations you need to follow, one of which includes gas safety. There is a possible risk that you may be fined or get sentenced if you fail to comply with the standards for gas safety on your property.  

Do not worry too much because we are here to provide you with information that can help you follow the rules and regulations. We have put together this guide to help you understand everything you need to know about gas safety. 

gas safety checks

Our Guide To Gas Safety Certificates

Every year, a Gas Safe qualified heating engineer must inspect your home to ensure that all gas appliances, including boilers, are in working correctly and if you are a landlord, it is important to make sure that your tenants are not in danger.  

When you hire an engineer to carry out a gas service check, they ensure:

- The boiler is set at the right pressure. 

- No gas is escaping 

- The flues are free of obstructions, and all safety mechanisms, such as cut-out devices, are operational. 

- Any brackets that hold an appliance in place are in great condition.

The engineer will give you the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate once they have completed their checks and inspections. The certificate contains a list of the outcomes of the safety checks, as well as any measures performed or required to fix them.

Types of Gas Safety Certificates

1. Landlord Gas Safety Certificates

This is also known as CP12 requires all gas equipment, such as the gas cookers and gas boilers in the property you are renting should be thoroughly inspected. It is recommended that you obtain a new gas safety certificate every 12 months to ensure the safety of your tenants. All gas equipment, such as the gas metre and gas boilers in the property you are renting should be thoroughly inspected. It is recommended that you obtain a new gas safety certificate every 12 months to ensure the safety of your tenants. 

2. Commercial Gas Safety Certificates / CP42

According to the Gas Safety Regulations 1998, obtaining a gas certificate is a legal requirement for commercial businesses such as restaurants, bars, cafés, workplaces, and other public buildings. It verifies that the gas system has been inspected by a qualified gas safety engineer who is authorised to carry out the necessary tests and issue a commercial gas safety certificate.

3. Commercial Gas Safety Certificate / CP17

Similar to landlord and commercial gas safety certificates, commercial gas safety certificates are also issued by Gas Safe registered engineers. Boilers, stoves, gas meters and flues are among the appliances and pipework that are inspected and tested to ensure that they are safe for business tenants, employees, and all visitors on a commercial property.

These are just a few types of certificates we have mentioned, there are more available, if you would like to know more, get in touch with our team today by viewing our contact details down below. 

gas safe registered engineers

How much does a Gas Safety Certificate cost?

The cost varies based on your property and the type of certificate you require, but the average price in the UK is roughly £80. We recommend getting a few quotes from various heating engineers to ensure you are getting the best price.

How often do I need to carry out a service check?

A Gas Safety Certificate is valid for 12 months, therefore you should get your gas appliances serviced annually. If you are ready to book a service check with us, please get in touch today. 

Book a Gas Safety Check 

Our Gas Safe Registered engineers are available throughout Gravesend, Medway, Dartford and all other surrounding areas. Simply call our team on 07712 172171 and we will be happy to help.